UEA continues to be a proud Gold Sponsor of the NSW WaterAid Ball, and is looking forward to the 2018 event at Sydney Town Hall.
WaterAid aims to address several issues across the planet, and our team wants to help raise awareness on why this charity is so important.
- Every person needs a sustainable supply of clean water: for drinking, washing, cooking and cleaning. It’s a basic human right. In many countries, taps, wells and pipes delivering clean water simply don’t exist. Even where they do, water supply services are often not affordable or accessible, or aren’t designed to last.
- A decent toilet is something we take for granted – at home, school, work and in public places. It’s a basic human right that protects people from dangerous diseases and provides dignity. 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a decent toilet around the world.
- Something as simple as handwashing with soap reduces cases of diarrhoea. Good hygiene maximises the benefits of clean water and decent toilets, keeping people healthy for generations to come.
- When people have access to clean water, a decent toilet and can practice good hygiene, they’re less likely to get ill.
- Girls often begin collecting water as children and continue to collect and carry water throughout their lives. Women’s needs for safety and privacy are often ignored in the design of services, making it difficult for them to live a life of dignity, and placing them at risk of assault and harassment.
- Water, hygiene and sanitation services often don’t serve the needs of the least powerful. People with a disability, and older people, are excluded from water points and toilets if they can’t easily access them.
Selecting the right technology is critical. But there also needs to be a strong system in place to turn policies into action, attract finance, and maintain services. Otherwise, there’s a risk that the benefits of clean water and decent toilets stop flowing.
Extreme poverty won’t end until every person around the world has clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene.